- Fast, Private & Affordable Lab Testing
- no doctor or insurance needed
- Direct-to-consumer lab testing; No doctor referral or insurance necessary
- Results in 1-3 days
HOW IT WORKS
- Simply order your blood test online
- Fill out a Patient Information Form
- Visit a local lab near you to give your blood work for testing
- And confidentially receive your results in 1-3 days
Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy (Calcidiol) Blood Test
Note: Fasting is not required for this test.
This test measures Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy (Calcidiol) levels in the blood for deficiencies. The major function of vitamin D in humans is the maintenance of calcium homeostasis.
Vitamin D is absorbed through both sunlight and via foods and drinks that are ingested that contain it. This fat-soluble vitamin plays a major growth and development of bones and teeth. Typically, Vitamin D's most common subcategories are Vitamin D2 and D3; Vitamin D2 comes from digesting vitamin D from plant and fungal food sources, and vitamin D3 is absorbed via the skin when it takes in sunlight.
Vitamin D is converted in the kidneys to its active form and helps to control the body's calcium and phosphate levels. It plays an important role in the growth and health of bones and teeth. When levels of vitamin D are too low, it can lead to a drop in calcium levels (hypocalcemia). Symptoms of a vitamin D deficiency include weakness, frequent infections, fatigue, aching and pain.
Malnutrition or conditions that can cause an individual to have poor absorption of nutrients like celiac disease, Crohn's disease, alcoholism or intestinal or gastrointestinal disorders may lead to low levels of vitamin D.